It’s summer. The sun is shining, and its time to sort out the summer dos and donts in fashion. Summer is a minefield, let’s be honest. We Scots don’t really do heat that well, do we? It’s difficult for us to achieve that beach babe look abroad, never mind try and look fashionable in the summer heat at home.
But there are a few summer dos and don’ts in fashion that, if you adhere to them, will help you look more than presentable in the summer sun! And we’ve included a few summer dos and don’ts that are particular to this year. This is the time to embrace some of the hottest summer trends.
1. DO – give crop tops a try. But the summer dos and don’ts rules of crop tops are simple – crop tops should sit above the belly button. No low slung crop tops need apply. Keep it classy with a matching skirt and crop top, showing off just that hint of tanned flesh. We love this combo from H&M.
2. DON’T wear espadrilles in the city. Right up there on our summer dos and don’ts list, any beachwear shoes are not right for the city. Espadrilles and flip-flops are not for the city streets, okay? Birkenstocks, you can almost get away with. But keep the rest for the beach.
3. DO embrace bright, sunny, summery yellow. One of this season’s on-trend colours, there’s nothing that screams summer more than lovely yellow. Try a yellow dress for maximum summery impact. JOY has some beautiful summer dresse that will more than help you hit the ‘dos’ on the summer dos and don’ts of fashion list!
4. DON’T expose your undies. You know those plastic bra straps that you think are invisible? They’re not. Neither are the flesh bra straps. And is that VPL in those white trousers? Seriously, sort it out. This is right up there on our summer dos and don’ts list. If your dress is strapless, wear a strapless bra. If your trousers are white and tight, invest in the right undies -seamless, thong – whatever is most comfy. Just keep your underwear out of the sunlight!
5. DO embrace shorts this summer. Shorts can be as smart as skirts. A shorts and jacket combo is a great summer wedding outfit with a twist, like this pastel pink Debenhams outfit. Just don’t wear tights. That’s one for the extended summer dos and don’ts list!
6. DON’T wear black too often in the hot summer sun. Always on the summer dos and don’ts list, black can look fantastic with a tan, and equally great with peachy pale skin. But keep it for the evening. Or wear grey instead, if you really can’t keep away from the dark side.
7. DO try and wear cotton in the heat as much as you can. Cotton is a breathable fabric and will keep you cool when the temperatures rise and keep you off the don’ts side of the summer dos and don’ts list. Linen is another great fabric for summer. Try and avoid polyester in the hot summer sun.
8. DON’T wear that maxi dress you bought for Tenerife into Ocean Terminal or down Princes Street. Maxi dresses are a huge trend – everyone wears them. But they can look SO wrong if you wear the wrong dress in the wrong place. A stretchy bandeau top maxi dress, like these from New Look and H&M, is not for the city, no matter how much you love it. Floaty fabrics are for holiday season, not the girl’s night out. If you want to wear a maxi dress in the town, or out at night in the city, make it a heavy jersey fabric like this French Connection dress, or a thick cotton. Make it strappy, or with sleeves, structured, with a bit of substance.
9. DO wear white in the summer. It reflects the light, looks crisp, cool and fresh and makes you feel brand new, fresh and summery. What’s not to love. Layer white on white. Mix it up with textures in the fabric – lace, crochet, ruffles, etc.
10. DON’T slip into those summer sandals or flip-flops from Schuh with un-pedicured feet. The summer dos and don’ts list always has this on it!
No-one wants to see your raggy toenails, cracked heels, chipped old polish, etc. Get yourself to the spa – try PURE spa in Ocean Terminal for a pedicure – they have a vast range of different pedicures on offer, from a mini-Pedi at £19 to a luxury pedicure for £48 – this includes a callus peel or a paraffin wax treatment. Heaven for your feet!
Please note that we always endeavour to feature items that are available in Ocean Terminal, however sometimes items featured may be out of stock, and prices may vary due to seasonal reduction