We were browsing the internet, as you do, and we came across this article in the US online version of Elle magazine – Thirty Fashion Staples You Should Have by Age 30.
A quick scan left us feeling wholly inadequate. We don’t even have half on that list, past 30!
But, it’s not as bad as all that. It’s a comprehensive list, but, at times, a little safe and predictable. Maybe we’re happier with a few more quirky items in our wardrobes in place of some of these fashion staples.
Fashion trends are great to buy into, but we do agree, you need to have fashion staples in your wardrobe, particularly your working wardrobe.
So, what are these 30 fashion staples we should have by age 30. Let’s revist Elle’s fashion staples list.
1. A striped top. We agree on this one, it’s a classic. We found ours at GAP for £24.95.
2. Ankle length black trousers. Chic, comfortable, and dressier than jeans, the Elle guide says. We agree. Find them at French Connection (£75)
3. Ballet flats. Loved by Audrey Hepburn, loved by us all. Of course we have these in our wardrobe! If not, H&M, £7.99.
4. A silk blouse. Elle says this one is a dressier version of the white Tee (that’s coming later). Agree? Get yours at French Connection (£38) in the sale.
5. Wrap coat. Apparently, this covers all other wardrobe sins. Just don’t remove it. But we’ve gone for a summer version, from Betty Jackson.Black @ Debenhams (£49).
6. Boyfriend jeans. Skinny jeans are stuck to us like glue, it seems, but boyfriend jeans are a great, slouchy alternative. Ours are from JOY, £46.
7. Over the Knee Boots. Okay, the jury is out on this one. We’re just not sure they are on our fashion staples list, but if you must, visit Schuh (£70).
8. Blazer. A blazer is one of our fashion staples. Perfect for spring, why not add a wee bit of an edge with puff-sleeves? H&M, £24.99.
9. Ribbed turtle neck. Okay. Bit dull, but apparently we should have it. H&M, £14.99
10. White ‘sneakers’. Or trainers as we like to call then. Or Cons, as in these fab white leather Converse from Schuh (£55).
11. Biker Jacket. Yep, we like this one. Perfect with jeans, trousers, skirts, even dresses on a night out. A biker jacket is high on our list of fashion staples. Todd Lynn Edition @ Debenhams has a fab style (£250).
12. A non-branded tote bag. A big old bag to throw in all of your necessities for a day on the town, and more. Absolutely agree. £55, RJR John Rocha @ Debenhams
13. Diamond studs. Fashion staples? Not so sure here, but nice, all the same. £169, H Samuel
15. Evening clutch. We’d like to think we had more than one of these in our wardrobe. Try to buy in neutral shades, metallics work brilliantly with all sorts of colours. £32, Star by Julien Macdonald @ Debenhams
16. Cashmere crew. We’re not sure if this is on our list of fashion staples before 30. But, we agree they look and feel great. £59.99, GAP
17. Ankle boot. As much a part of everyone’s shoe wardrobe now as trainers and heels. Ankle boots are great. Buy black, with a mid-heel to wear with anything, anywhere. £24.99, H&M
18. White T-shirt. Slouchy, the right length. Who knew buying a white t-shirt was such a trauma. Elle.com reckons it is. We think, yeah, life’s maybe too short. We’ll take this one from White Stuff (£29.95)
19. Gold Chain. Again, we’re just not sure about this. On the fashion staples list? Nah. We’re sure if you don’t want one, you can get through life without one. If you do, visit H Samuel. This one is £59.99
20. Leather pencil skirt. For meetings apparently. Or Friday nights we say. Perhaps not on our fashion staples list, but we do love them. This one has a cute little front split, and it’s in the sale! £115, French Connection
21. Nude sandals. Love them or hate them, nude sandals are a thing. They do elongate the leg, and of course, go with anything. £34.99, New Look
22. Matching PJs. We like this one. Own up, how many mismatched ‘nightwear’ items do you own. Far too many, if you’re like us! £15, BHS
23. Leather trousers. Not sure they’re a staple, but they’re cool, and if you can afford them, buy them. H&M’s have a side zip and belt loops. £199.99
24. LBD. Pretty obvious this one, and if you don’t have an LBD, we’d like to know why. Todd Lynn’s Edition range at Debenhams has a classic LBD with leather panels. We love. £55
25. High-waisted jeans. Trust us. They’re flattering. We wore them in the 1980s, we’re wearing them now. They flatter the figure much better than those low-rise versions we know you’re still wearing. £22.99, New Look
26. Denim Jacket. Another no-brainer. Everyone should have a denim jacket in their wardrobe, If you don’t, buy this one from White Stuff now. £55.
27. Chic, oversize sunnies. They don’t need to be expensive either. We love to change our sunnies up, now and then. Tortoiseshell has that classic, retro look, always in style. £5.99, New Look
28. Red Lipstick. Okay, this one’s not clothes, but yeah, we see where they are coming from. Red lipstick makes an outfit, and shows a confident woman. Chanel’s Rouge Coco lipstick has some fabulous reds. Our favourite is Gabrielle, named after Coco Chanel herself. Others we love are Dimitri and Arthur. £25, Debenhams
29. Trench Coat. Another of those fashion staples that you love or hate. But trench coats have their uses in our springtime climate! £59.95, GAP
30. White jeans. Again, these are a Marmite kind of item. Many of us would never wear white jeans, many of us love them. We do like these cropped French Connection pair (£75).
So, what would you keep and what would you lose from this list?
Please note that we always endeavour to feature items that are available in Ocean Terminal, however sometimes items featured may be out of stock, and prices may vary due to seasonal reduction