We all got our legs out last week – and then put them back in our tights or trousers again this week, yeah? Brrr. That was a change in temperature! But, summer is coming (you can keep winter, thanks, John Snow), and shorts are a summer staple. But what’s your shorts style?
We’ve narrowed it down to six shorts styles for summer – you’ll surely find your shorts style in here somewhere! Embrace the summer when it comes, and get those pins out!
First up, Basic Black shorts style. Pretty simple – just basic shorts, in various styles, and classic black.
1. Loose, zip front shorts, perfect for evening wear, with a simple top. £35, JOY
2. Basic black knee-length short perfect for the city in the summer, agreed? £20, Dorothy Perkins @ BHS
3. Cute fringed shorts for the beach or the festival. £29.99, H&M
4. High-waisted tailored black shorts. £60, French Connection
Tailored shorts work well in the city in the summer – add a pair of wedge sandals, a blazer and you’re there.
1. Linen shorts=classic style. £14.99, H&M
2. Striped tailored shorts, perfect for city wear. £19.99, New Look
3. Classic tailored shorts, for the classic wearer! £45, French Connection
4. Button detail evening shorts. £19.99, H&M
5. Classic grey tailored shorts for office wear when the weather heats up. £24.95, GAP
Perhaps a playsuit is your preferred shorts style? As easy to wear as a dress, we love them!
1. Dungarees playsuit – just add a simple Tee, and off to the festival you go! £19.99, H&M
2. This lovely Louche playsuit is perfect for a summer wedding. £45, JOY
3. French Connection’s floaty pastel playsuit is very beautiful, agreed? £60
4. New Look’s playful patterned playsuit is perfect summer festival wear. £24.99
5. We are in love with this fab, slouchy, loose sleeved playsuit from H&M – and it comes in black too! £29.99
Perhaps you prefer your shorts on the longer side?
1. These tight white longer shorts are great if you don’t want to show off any thigh. £35, White Stuff
2. Loose, and long, and lemon! Perfect. £12, BHS
3. These chino shorts from GAP can be worn down, or rolled right up. £24.95.
4. Cute pink striped shorts are great for the summer pastel trend. £16.50, BHS
5. H&M’s Conscious range lovely soft deep blue knee-length shorts are a classy look for a summer’s evening. £12.99
Now here’s how to wear shorts – as part of a suit. The new shorts style is the shorts suit!
1. Jacquard shorts, £12.99 and matching jacket, £39.99, are part of the H&M Conscious range.
2.H&M’s aztec print shorts and crop top are festival-ready. £19.99 and £14.99.
3. Make a bold statement with matching floral print shorts, £14.99, and top, £12.99, in bright gorgoeus colours, from H&M
4. Butterfly by Matthew Williamson’s bird print fringed kimono, £55, and matching shorts, £40, are perfect for your summer holiday, or a summer wedding. Just add heels and a simple vest, and a clutch. Debenhams
Finally have some fun with your shorts style. Polka dots, prints, or just a colour other than your normal beige or black!
1. Polka dots are the perfect print for those who are, well, a little afraid of print. They’re so inoffensive. Try them! £35. White Stuff
2. New Look’s bright and dazzling print brings this simple running shorts style to life! £12.99.
3 & 4. Still at New Look, how about these lovely print shorts in a flattering, loose, billowing skirt-like style? 14.99 each
5. Go on, try a bit of colour. Just a simple pink perhaps? £29.95, White Stuff
What’s your shorts style?